Game: The Chills
Available Platforms: PC
Reviewed on: PC
Genre: Horror, Indie
Developer: Anamik Majumdar
Release date: February 22, 2019
The Chills is an indie horror game from developer Anamik Majumdar. The game follows the story of Jim who lives in a haunted hotel. Jim finds himself fleeing from demons, ghosts and devil worshipers. The game can be purchased on Steam and can be completed in about 30 mins.
- Cheap. The game costs $0.99 on the Steam store. That is about the only possessive thing I can say about the game. The old cleché stands true that you get what you pay for. In this case you get a sub-par product for a sub-par cost.
- Cheap jump scares. The game relies entirely on cheap jump scares and nothing more. As the player searches through the hotel, their senses will be assulted by an image flashed on the screen accompanied by a loud noise.
- Weak story. The story is something that children might tell around a campfire, it is basic and boring. The layer has no reason to care about Jim or anything else that is happening in the game.
- Difficulty. Rather a lack of difficulty. All the player has to do is search. The only hard part comes at the end when you are being “chased” by a ghost/demon and have to try not to get hit by (floating crates?) boxes as you escape.
- Gameplay. The gameplay is clunky and frustrating, I often found myself getting caucht on plants or thin air and having to move around in a large arch to get through.
- Disappointing. Even for a dollar I expected something. The overall experience is a disappointing waste of a dollar. Cheap, hollow and unimaginative.
The Chills is an indie horror game that is short and relies on cheap jump scares to frighten the player. This type of game is not my cup of tea and I do not recommend it. If you have an hour to kill and $1 to throw away, sure, go for it. I just wouldn’t get my hopes up for a game of the year experience, or even something that resembles a good time.
Does this weeks game sound interesting to you? You can pick up The Chills for yourself on Steam right now and play for yourself.
I Rate this adventure 18 out of 100
Check out my first impressions video below: