Hello and welcome to Jay’s Game Reviews! Today I will be reviewing Klei Entertainment’s newest base building DLC “Hamlet” for their hit game “Don’t Starve”.
Klei is a game studio known for their Tim Burton styled art and quirky characters. I have been playing the Don’t Starve series since it’s debut and have yet to be disappointed. That being said; there are a few things that should be discussed with this latest addition to the Don’t Starve collection, some good and some bad. It should be noted before we begin, however, that this DLC is still in Early Access and could very well change drastically before it’s official release.
- This expansion to the Don’t Starve family allows players to interact with pig villagers. Players can perform tasks for the residents and receive coins called “Oinks”. Oinks can then be traded for various goods and even used to buy a house within the Hamlet.
- As with the other expansions, Hamlet introduces new playable characters! Warbucks, modeled like a big game hunter or an explorer. Wilba, the Princess of the Pig people who lost her crown.
- There are new Seasons, monsters, biomes and items that can be experienced, found and crafted.
- There is a new Treasure Hunting mechanic complete with traps, players can hunt for artifacts, search trap and monster filled rooms for treasure and find useful items in statues.
You can check out my “First thoughts” video below.
- The only real con of this expansion is that it does not use any of the additions from the Don’t Starve Together multiplayer expansion and this is a solo venture. After many players got into the playing with a friend aspect of DST, it was taken away.
So what do I thing of the Hamlet DLC? Well, I picked it up as soon as the early access came out and have really enjoyed it. It is, like the rest of the series, darkly charming and full of interesting adventure to be had. The only thing that could make it better would be the inclusion of the multiplayer introduced in “together”. Check out all of the Don’t Starve content over on Klei’s Don’t Starve site: https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve
I Score this one 91 out of 100.
I also did a live stream of it and the three replay videos for that can be found below.